“Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.” – M. F. K. Fisher
My wonderful hubby Dave made this recipe for us early on in our relationship, & it has become one of our faves! This Carnitas recipe is so easy & has a plethora of variations for both the meat lover or the vegetarian! Let me know what your favorite toppings are in the comments below!
Keep posted for next weeks recipe blog for Homemade Mac & Cheese with Pulled Pork using your left over carnitas’. Be sure to put the leftover’s in a freezer bag & save it for next week Dragonfly Friends!
Our Favorite Recipes
7 to 9 pound pork butt/ shoulder
1 cup orange juice
5 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
5 tsp minced garlic
1 cup red onion, diced
1 large or 2 small jalapeno’s, diced & seeded
¼ cup oregano
2 ½ TBSP cumin
¼ cup olive oil
Topping & Filling ideas: tomatoes, sour cream, onions, black or green olives, shredded cheese, refried beans, corn, black beans, jalapenos, lettuce, and even rice!
1. Wash meat; place in crockpot.
2. Combine salt & pepper and rub thoroughly all over roast.
3. Combine Rub ingredients & mix well; rub all over the roast until thoroughly covered.
Be sure to slather the rub over the entire roast so the flavors soak in!
4. Put the minced garlic, onions & peppers on top of roast.
5. Pour orange juice over top.
6. Cook in a crockpot for 7 hours on high.
Pro Tip: You will know the meat is thoroughly cooked when it falls apart easily when pulled on with a fork.
Preparing the Carnitas:
1. Once meat is cooked and falling apart with a fork, begin shredding the meat; discard any large pieces of fat and any bones. Set aside the broth.
2. In a large electric skillet add meat and one cup of broth at a time. As meat cooks and broth dissipates, add 1 cup more at a time until the meat is fried tender.
Nachos- Place a single layer of tortilla chips in a small baking dish; sprinkle shredded cheese over top in an even layer; add refried beans spreading over top evenly; add tomatoes, and any other veggies you’d like. Bake in an oven at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Burritos- fill a large soft flour tortilla with first sour cream, refried beans, shredded cheese and tomatoes. Top with your carnitas meat and whatever other toppings you enjoy.
Taco’s- use either a hard, soft, or corn shell tortilla and fill with whatever toppings you enjoy.
Pro Tip: How to make your refried beans the best!
- Take 1- 1.25 ounce can of refried beans and put in a small saucepan.
- Add ¼ cup of carnita broth and blend well.
- Add 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, mix until well blended.
- Add ½ cup sour cream and blend.
- Heat until you can see the cheese is melted!
Stay tuned for next weeks follow up blog on what to do with your left over carnita’s… Homemade Mac & Cheese with Pulled Pork is on the way!
If you enjoyed this blog, please LIKE, Follow, Share & leave me a comment! I love your feedback!
If you aren’t following me on Facebook, go on over & give a LIKE & Follow me for daily tips & tricks for your home & garden!
Added bonus: You can go to my blog at www.fordragonfliesandme.com to purchase my original cookbook, Lovingly Seasoned Eats and Treats. The cookbook has almost 1000 recipes on almost 500 pages! Check out the Cookbook Testimonials while you’re there!
All text and images on this site are copyright of For Dragonflies And Me. Unless otherwise noted, you may not use this content without written permission.