“Growing food was the first activity that gave us enough prosperity to stay in one place, form complex social groups, tell our stories, and build our cities.” ― Barbara Kingsolver
Fall is full of wonderful delights to cook with…. really all the season’s are, but fall is for comfort food. This recipe for sure falls into that category! You can make this a super sweet dish or a savory side to go with any meal.
I will be using Sweet Dumpling squash for this recipe, however you can use any winter squash.
Other options include: Acorn, butternut, delicata, turban, & more.
Our Favorite Recipes
2 Winter Squash- I am using Sweet Dumpling for this recipe
4 TBSP Butter, divided
½ cup brown sugar, packed- divided
Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash your squash of any debris and dirt.
3. With a sharp butchers knife, carefully cut squash in half stem to bottom end. If there is a stem on the squash, break it off before attempting to cut it.
Pro Tip: For those who don’t want such a sweet dish, simply omit the brown sugar and add ½ tsp each salt & pepper in its place.
4. Scoop all the seeds out and discard. Spray baking dish with non-stick spray evenly across the bottom; Place cut side up in a 9” x 13” x 2” baking dish.
5. In each squash cavity, place 1 TBSP of butter and 2 TBSP brown sugar; cover and bake for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Once a knife goes into the squash without any resistance it is done. Do not poke all the way through.
6. Remove and let sit for 5 minutes uncovered; With hot pads on, take each squash and pour butter brown sugar mixture into a large bowl; then with a spoon carefully scoop out the meat; mix together with butter brown sugar until thoroughly mixed.
Here is a video on how to scoop the cooked flesh from your squash!
If you enjoyed this post & thought this was a super yummy recipe leave me a comment.
…. and of course please LIKE, Follow & Share.
You can purchase my wonderful cookbook, Lovingly Seasoned Eats & Treats again! Click this link to purchase: https://fordragonfliesandme.com/purchase-my-cookbook…/
Be sure to check out my Facebook page & follow me there for daily inspirations, lovely photos, & of course all kinds of great home & garden tips! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100049613212778
All text and images on this site are copyright of For Dragonflies And Me. Unless otherwise noted, you may not use this content without written permission.