“Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.”
– Harriet Van Horne
It’s amazing how the garden produces with just a bit of tender loving care, some sunshine, and of course water. This summers garden produced an abundance of tomatoes & peppers. This recipe is for sure one of our summer time favorites, & I sure hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we do!
Pro tip: You can use canned tomato juice, but making your own is soooo easy if you have extra tomatoes! Read below for a quick how-to!
Our Favorite Recipes
5 peppers, halved
1 pound lean ground beef
1 pound lean ground pork
2 cups Jasmine rice, cooked
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups PLUS 3 ½ cups tomato juice
1 cup mozzarella cheese
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
½ cup minced red OR yellow onion
2 fresh cloves of garlic minced OR 2 tsp jarred
1 tsp salt- divided
1 tsp pepper- divided
1 tsp Italian Seasoning- See link for the recipe on how to make your own!
Home Made Tomato Juice
Here’s a simple how-to make homemade tomato juice!
Wash your tomato’s; cut off any bad spots and stem ends.
Cut the tomato’s into large chunks and blend in a food processor.
Once they are blended, measure out how much you will need for the recipe. Anything extra you can freeze or can.
Pro tip: There is no need to remove seeds as they will never be noticeable once processed. I have done this for years & no one has ever noticed!
1. Cut your peppers in half & clean out all seeds & white membranes.
2. In a frying pan add oil and minced onion; sauté on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes until golden, and then add minced garlic; sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
3. In the meantime while your onions & garlic are sautéing, cook rice according to package instructions. Set aside until ready to use.
Pro tip: You can add a TBSP of butter to the rice to prevent it from sticking.
4. Once the onion & garlic are finished sautéing, add both pork & beef, Italian seasoning, ½ tsp each salt & pepper to onion garlic mixture; fry while cutting into the meat until crumbly and done, about 20 minutes; drain grease from meat mixture in a colander.
5. In a large bowl add meat mixture, cooked rice, 2 cups of the tomato juice, remaining salt & pepper, and parmesan cheese; mix until well blended; add the remaining 1 ½ cups of tomato juice reserving the additional 2 cups.
6. Pour remaining 2 cups of the tomato juice into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish, spread until covering the entire bottom.
7. Take ½ cup of meat and rice mixture and fill each pepper half; place in the baking dish side by side until all are filled. Use the remaining meat and rice mixture and fill around the peppers.
8. Divide mozzarella cheese evenly across the tops of each pepper half.
9. Bake at 350 degrees covered for 45 minutes; uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and peppers are soft enough for a knife to go through.
I really enjoy making things from scratch, which is why I wanted to share a super easy how-to make your own tomato juice.
Here’s the link to my blog post with my recipe for homemade Italian Seasoning. https://fordragonfliesandme.com/2013/09/28/dry-spice-blend-recipes-easy-to-make-salad-dressings-and-dips/?preview_id=2324&preview_nonce=61871f6394&preview=true&_thumbnail_id=2325
If you enjoyed this post, please LIKE & Follow me for more great recipes and home & garden tips. Be sure to visit me at my Facebook page for more informative & fun posts! Be sure to say “Hi!”. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100049613212778