“In order to live off a garden, you practically have to live in it”.
Frank McKinney Hubbard
The garden is bursting with beautiful Heirloom tomatoes…
I see my homemade salsa on the horizon!
I love this time of year! The garden is abounding with tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, onions, & potatoes… oh my! I can’t say how blessed I feel each time I walk out and see the fruits of our labor producing so beautifully! Working in the kitchen with Dave & the boys makes the experience that much more rewarding.
I get so many compliments on my salsa I thought I’d share my Mexican Style recipe downsized for individual servings.
- 4-6 large tomatoes- Heirlooms are best, even if you buy them in the grocery store
- ¾ cup diced onion- mix and match red, yellow, & shallots. NOT white onions
- ½ cup diced jalapenos- about 3 to 4
- 2 fresh garlic cloves minced or 1 TBSP canned
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
Do you want to make this recipe to can? You can find it in my cookbook, Lovingly Seasoned Eats and Treats. See link below.
Fresh and canned salsa are both delicious. Give each a try!
When you are ready to can your salsa be sure to have the following in advance!
1. Canning jars- I recommend pint size. Sterilize beforehand.
2. Canning lids & rings ready to go.
3. Teaspoon measure & salt.
4. Salsa needs to be pressure cooked because all the tomatoes & peppers are fresh.
1. Chop tomatoes into small pieces- dime sized and put into a large bowl
2. Dice onions and jalapenos; add to tomatoes
3. Mince garlic clove and cilantro; add to mixture.
Add: lemon juice, oil, sugar, salt, and pepper; stir mixture until evenly blended
If you prefer your salsa not so chunky, you can add 1 cup at a time into a
mini food chopper and pulse until desired consistency.
Fresh or canned salsa is one of summers delicious goodies we can treat ourselves to on a regular basis! Is there anything you add in your salsa that I didn’t? Tell me in the comments below!
If you’d like to make this recipe in large scale to can, click this link to purchase my cookbook, Lovingly Seasoned Eats and Treats. https://bit.ly/3PRKJyc
If you enjoyed this recipe, please LIKE, SHARE, & Follow me for more great home & garden tips along with super yummy recipes like this one!